6.20.2009

The Tragically Hip

Last night was my fourth chance to see The Tragically Hip live. This time it was Victoria, BC at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Arena.

Being a musician and an avid critic of music, I am often exposed to many conversations that start or involve "Whats your favourite band?" or "What do you think of [Band Name]?" When I answer the first with The Tragically Hip, I am frequently combated with a surprised face and an "Oh"

So to put this to bed here (and so I can simply reference this in future conversations, thereby saving several minutes of my already shortened lifespan) here are my arguments for why The Tragically Hip are MY favourite (at least one of) band:

1) Everyone likes them...before you scroll down and hit comment to say "Not me" just read on. Their catalog is large, that is 14 albums spanning over twenty years. And I have yet to find anyone who doesn't like at least one Hip song, Hundredth Meridian, Courage, Poets, No Threat, Music@Work, Gift Shop, Little Bones, Ahead by a Century; the list goes on and if you search their catalog, you like at least one song, and will probably be caught singing it in the shower at some point over your lifespan. There are very few bands that can claim such a trait, most are loved or hated...
2) Lyrically sound...listen and hear stories about Canada. I love to hear about all these familiar places coast to coast. Songs that just work, not random words that rhyme, but stories put to music.
3) Proudly Canadian...they have not sold out, period. Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, Great Big Sea, Barenaked Ladies, Nickelback; once they got a taste of the industry south of the border, Canada became that elderly Aunt who pinched their cheeks one two many times...Ask Bryan to sing the national anthem, or Celine who her one true homeland is, even Chad Kroeger had to put his area code into his studios name to remember it was in Canada...they say Canada, but they sing to America.
4) Stage Presence...Gord Downie, lead singer, keeps the audience in his had the entire show. From tap dancing, to shadow puppets, to lectures on syntax he does it all. When you go to a hip show it isn't just four or five guys with cool hair on stage waving back and fourth while trying to prevent thier guitar with the over extended strap from hitting the ground, you get a show, a stage performance that makes the time fly and your face hurt from the smile.

Four reasons, and there are more but I am tired and ready for bed. I love the Hip, they have influenced my music and my stage persona quite a bit. I challenge you nay sayers to revisit your mp3's, cd's or tape collections for those albums and give them another try, if you are one of the sad few who don't own any, go buy or download the best of album and givr a go, there is bound to be a favourite in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note...be nice...